Anyone who has a small child knows that as soon as said child becomes mobile you begin to count the months, weeks, and days until you get to take your child to nursery so you can actually attend your church meetings rather than pacing the halls for three hours.
As luck would have it, about the time Ben was finally old enough to go to nursery, I received the news that I had been called as a nursery leader. Around that same time, I also received the news that we were expecting another bundle of joy, so I spent the nine months of my pregnancy as a nursery leader. It was super fun. Fortunately, having a baby is a surefire way to get released from your calling as a nursery leader. Unfortunately, I have a two-year-old who has decided that he is not interested in going to nursery.
Last week we went to drop Ben off at nursery and he cried and cried. We decided to just leave him and let him get over it. I figured I'd spent enough time comforting other people's children that I had earned the privilege. Several minutes later, a well-meaning nursery leader delivered my red-eyed, screaming child to me in gospel doctrine and whispered, "I'm sorry. I don't think this is going to work today." What? My kid got kicked out of nursery?
When I walked out into the hall with him, Ben perked right up and told me, "Mommy I go play." Um, no Ben you did not go play. Given the option of returning to nursery or going home to nap, Ben chose the nap. That one backfired on me.
This week we tried again and the screaming began again. We left the him there and he screamed. We came back and he screamed. Ultimately, I stayed with him for the rest of class. Meanwhile, Cam walked the halls with a fussy baby. Come on! I was so looking forward to getting to associate with other adults.
So what's the deal? How do I cope with a nursery hater?
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Nursery or Bust!
Posted by Leslie at 7:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Good luck with Ben, but I guess you will just have to resign yourself to being in the nursery regardless of your calling. At least you are in a ward where having a baby means being released. I have been in many where that is not the case.
It's so fun hearing about your cute family. Wow, I can relate to the nursery thing. Peter was miserable for the first 6 months. Now, he runs out of sacrament meeting to go to nursery and leaves us in his dust. Be patient, and tell those leaders it's okay to let them cry. Good luck! Happy 30th Birthday. I now feel like 30 is very young (funny how your perspective changes)! I hope I can see you at Diana's wedding.
Happy Birthday! The temple grounds look beautiful. Lucky you to live so close to such a pretty place to walk.
As far as nursery. . . would any kind of bribe work or is he too young to understand the concept of being rewarded for going to nursery? Really, it comes down to the leaders being able to take him even if he's upset. That's such a hard situation!
ha ha. and that's when you wonder "why do i bother coming to church?"
Stick with it; he'll get over it. He has you guys figured out, so you need to get one step ahead of him somehow.
Just a tip- We've all had "nursery haters!" Just don't plan on attending any classes for a while I paced the hall for years! Although bribery works well!
Post a Comment