Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Busy little Ben

I have a lot of things I should be doing right now. I've got a final to get ready for, a house that needs cleaning--heck, I've got a house that needs painting and flooring installed so we can move into it in this lifetime. But I'm feeling the need to reflect and I don't keep a journal (I know, I know) other than this blog. Basically, feel free to skip over this post.

Ben is just growing up so fast and is turning into such a big, able little boy. Well, he still refuses to stand on his own or walk; however, he has demonstrated that he has the ability to do so. He's lacking the desire I suppose. It's so fun to watch him become aware of his little world. He babbles constantly, although his vocabulary of "real" words consists only of "hi" at this point. He has proven that he can maneuver the stairs--both up and down. He's just a lot of fun and I love him so much.

I guess I've been feeling particularly grateful for my healthy little guy recently. I've been faithfully reading (okay, blurking) Charlie Cooper's blog for weeks now. He's a little boy who is just a little younger than Ben and he's been in PCMC for months now. He got very sick after contracting pneumococcal meningitis. This sickness took a serious toll on his little body. He has brain damage, hearing loss, and is likely blind. I look at pictures of this perfect little boy who was a healthy little child just a few months ago and I think about how quickly things can change.

We've been to PCMC with Ben a couple of times for testing. Each time we've been sent home with a clean bill of health. I can't imagine spending months there and I certainly can't imagine seeing my sweet little boy affected by a disease the way that poor Charlie has been. My heart aches for his parents. Before Ben was born I would have thought Charlie's story was sad and probably not given it much more thought. But after having a kid I'm so much more affected by things like this. It makes me a little more patient when he yells, rummages through cupboards, and paws through the baskets of laundry I just folded.



5 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Thank you for being reflective--it is important. Give Ben a hug from Grandma for me. What's with his hair? It looks like it's sticking out all over, kind of bedhead or something. He is a charming little fellow for sure.

senategirl said...

Oh, that just makes me want to cry. Little kids are soooo defenseless and good. I'm glad Ben has a clean bill of health!

Good luck with your final!

Emily said...

ohh, Ben is so dang cute, handsome and darling! I absolutely loved every minute that I was tending him! So did the twins! They really want a little bro/sister around...too bad I can't give them...sometimes I wish I could other times glad I can't :) Anyway, Ben is such a handsome kid and he did talk quite a bit for me. He said hi a lot. I can't believe how much he looks like Cam...what a clone!!!! Cam and I were basically raised inseparable at that age until about the age of 18 and I swear I was just watching Cameron the entire time...CRAzY!!

Katie said...

Thanks for the link to Charlie Cooper's blog. That little guy sure puts your life in perspective.

Here's another beautifully written blog. Every time I read it I'm an amazing mother. At least for a time...

http://avarosemeyer.memory-of.com

erynp said...

I admittedly was skimming quickly per your disclaimer that this entry could be ignored all together. big mistake as i originally thought you were saying Ben had contracted meningitis. Yikes! tears immediately surfaced. glad to know it is not Ben, but i agree about the "sympathetic mom" thing. though I don't know cooper, my heart breaks for him.