Ben had his surgery yesterday. It took the doctor close to 4 hours to complete the surgery. Most of that time was devoted to removing the nasty infection by his ear that started this whole thing. All-in-all he estimated that he removed 8-10 lymph nodes and a saliva gland.
The lymph node by Ben's ear was so large and infected that there is now a depression in his face where it was removed. His doctor thinks that it will probably fill in over time. His facial nerves were also bruised so the left side of his mouth sags a little, but this will also likely be temporary. The doctor said it could take a few months to really heal, but he thinks it will heal. We'll have to wait and see.
His surgical wound is looking good so far and we're hoping Ben will be discharged tomorrow or the next day. Staying in the hospital is no fun.
I thought I'd show a picture of happier times before posting some hospital pictures. The night before his surgery we had some Halloween festivities. Ben was looking pretty cute as a turtle.
Unfortunately, a couple of days later this is where we're at. The second shows his stitches pretty close up, so if that bothers anyone, you might want to stop here. 

He's had a rough couple of days. Poor little guy. Thanks for the truck, Nicole. I think it was probably the highlight of his morning.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Poor Benny
Posted by Cameron at 12:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Oh my gosh!!! I want to bawl for the kiddo. His neck looks so painful. I'm glad they think they got everything. Hopefully it all heals up quickly & correctly!
It makes me so sad to see little kids go through hard things. I'm so grateful they were able to remove this and take care of the problem. I hope the healing process is speedy and he is back on his turtle feet in no time. That first picture was so adorable. I just want to hug him!
poor poor ben... he is so darling. i have been on the phone to brooke asking for details all day!! i hate that you guys had to go through this. we didn't sign up for this crap did we? well, i hope he gets better soon. you will be surprised how resilient kids really are! you guys are in our prayers...
Leslie, thanks for the update and the post. It talked to your Mom yesterday and she told me how things went. I'm so sorry the poor baby had to go through this. I hope he heals quickly and will soon be his normal, happy self. Let me know if there is anything I can help with. I hope your swearing in went well. Love you all. Aunt Barbara
Glad the surgery is over and Ben is on the road to recovery - hope it is a short, uncomplicated road.
What a tough little guy. The great thing about kids is that they are so resilient. I don't think any adult going through that would do so well.
What a tough little guy. The great thing about kids is that they are so resilient. I don't think any adult going through that would do so well.
Thanks for posting, Sweetie. I really needed to see the pictures. I am thinking of you day and night and praying for all of you. Hope tomorrow brings better times. Love, Mom
Poor little guy. That does not look like fun. Hang in there!
There is not much worse than being stuck in a hospital room with a kid who needs a house and a backyard. I was so tired of trying to take care of Aubrey with only two or three choices, sitting on my bed, standing in the room, or walking in the room. She and I were both ready to leave after a day and that was with a 7 week old. I can't imagine going through a hospital stay with an older baby. Hang in there. We love you!
Poor Ben. Poor *YOU*! Watching my kids suffer is really only time I cannot bear being a parent. It's those turtle costume moments that make it all worthwhile.
I hope everything heals well. Hang in there Ben!
Oh Ben Ben. We love you so much. Hope you will feel better soon! Those stitches look so painful. Kids are so resilliant (sp?) i know he will do great. we'll remember you in your prayers!
oh poor little beeny boo boo ! i want to come see you guys up at the hospital? I can't get a hold of any of you people???? How do you expect anybody to get a hold of you? You mom, Cam, or nobody will answer their phones!!! GERRRR!!! WE really wanted to come visit, we have a little something for Ben. Feel better, you are in our prayers, if somebody calls me back then hopefully we will come up for a visit. xoxoxo love you guys.
Post a Comment