Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Life goes on

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I'm gonna have to say that this past month has been about the most stressful one in my life. First off, under the best of circumstances, preparing for the bar exam is enough to ruin just about anyone's summer. Throw in a one-year-old and and unexpected pregnancy and you're really in for a treat.

"Pregnancy?" you query. Why yes. I discovered I was pregnant the month before the the bar and morning sickness soon set in with a vengeance. Rather than studying intently, I spent the month before the bar puking and lamenting my state. Alice made it her mission to keep me hydrated at the very least and it is thanks to her, and a bunch of IVs, that I was even physically able to show up for the exam. Ugh. I'm not terribly optimistic about what the outcome will be, but it is over (for now).

Moving on to our little surprise, Cam and I went to the doctor yesterday. On a side note, it's amazing that a grown man can revert to a 12-year-old boy the second he walks into the OB's office. I about kicked him out of the room when he started playing with the stirrup cozies. (Um, yes. There are stirrup cozies on the exam tables. Don't ask me what entrepreneurial grandmother thought there was a market for such things.) Anyway, after two hours in the waiting room, we found out that my womb is the loving home to an 11-week-old fetus.

Even though I'd had about ten positive pregnancy tests (yes, I realize I am slightly neurotic) and have been puking for weeks, it's still somehow shocking to see that little baby pop up on the screen during an ultrasound. When I had an ultrasound with Ben at about the same stage of pregnancy, he was bouncing all over the place. This baby was just kind of sitting there. I was a little concerned that it was okay at first, but the doctor assured me this was a healthy looking baby with a strong heartbeat. Maybe this baby will be more mellow than his or her older brother. Our little one will be arriving at the end of February.


My scanner was not cooperating, but here's a low-tech picture of our lazy babe.

Anyway, now it's time to move on to our next adventure: nearly 6 months after closing on our house, we are finally moving tomorrow. So the fun goes on . . .

14 comments:

Amy said...

Oh man! Sounds like a great month! Congrats on the pregnancy...only 9 more months, right?

Good luck!

Julie said...

Congrats! I hadn't heard the news yet! Having seen Ryan go through the bar process I can't imagine having to do that in the first trimester of pregnancy! You're amazing. I hope you are feeling better now. Good luck on the move!

Amy W said...

Congrats Leslie! This has been an exciting few months for you!

MaryAnn said...

Congratulations Leslie. I hope that you are feeling better now and the rest of your pregancy is easier for you.

Laura Stringham said...

Ah, what a cute, fuzzy little fetus. She, yes she, just needs to lay off the mother torturing and give you a break for a while.

Barbara said...

Congratulations, Leslie--on both taking the bar and being pregnant--and good luck with the move. I know it will be a challenge, and I hope you really enjoy your new house. Hang in there.

Katie said...

I read your post and wept. During my morning sickness I couldn't tie my SHOES, let alone take the freaking bar. I propose that immediately after delivery, Lazy gets time out and a couple spankings.

That said...If this one is as cute as Ben, we're all in for a TREAT!

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

i've been waiting for this post...

first and foremost, congratualtions :) unexpected as it may be, i am thrilled that our kids will all be so close in age.

secondly i just want to tell you how sorry i am for how sick you are! i inform dustin of my genuine sorrow for you as i know minie, photog, and just life in general kick my butt while being pregnant. i CANNOT even fathom your situation... please.. if there is anything i can do. let me take ben!!!! i would be more than willing.. let me know.

congrats again you guys.... i truly am excited for you.

Nicole said...

Congratulations! Leslie-you are amazing! Morning sickness is the worst! I really don't know how you did it (and kept it all a secret!) And you're moving??? Well, let us know if there is anything we can do to help out!

The Sieverts said...

You are a trooper Leslie. We are so excited for your new addition. Life can get so demanding. i'm sorry you've been so sick. hope you are feeling better. we'd love to have Ben for the day anytime you need. just call.

Sandy Brunson said...

Congratulations on successfully taking the bar while managing the unexpected pregnancy issues. And congratulations on the pregnancy!

senategirl said...

Leslie, you rival the pioneer women for what you shouldered the past few months! My husband also took the bar in July and that was stressful enough. You earned bragging rights for years to come.

Jen

P.S. Kate was five months old when we discovered our own suprise package! Funny how life happens when you least expect it!

jared and mary 2 said...

Yeah for babies!

Emily said...

congrats, you are so lucky! seriously...life is hectic it truly never slows down! always trials but you are so blessed to be pregnant...how exciting! I remember when I use to throw up with the twins (like 10 times a day while I was at work) it was so hard but I was so happy! I'm happy for you guys, it seems to be in the water right now, huh?!~!