It's been a long week. I was really hopeful that after Ben's surgery we could get things back to normal and quit making frequent doctor's visits. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.
Ben seems to be feeling pretty good, but when we went back to have his stitches removed the doctor noticed that part of the surgical site was swelling. The lymph node by Ben's left ear was quite large and when the doctor removed the infected tissue it left a fairly large cavity. That cavity has been filling with fluid. We've been keeping Ben on antibiotics to prevent infection, and so far that's been working, but we've had to go to the doctor to aspirate the fluid twice this week since the swelling has been pretty severe.
In an effort to minimize future swelling, Ben now has to wear a pressure bandage around his face so (hopefully) the fluid will not settle in the cavity and it can fill with healthy fat and tissue. The doctors affectionately refer to this device as the "jaw bra." It is seriously complicated to take on and off, so it's just as well that we have to leave it on pretty much 24/7. Poor Benny is not a big fan of the jaw bra, and it definitely draws attention. Poor Boo.
Oh, but the good news doesn't stop there. The skin by Ben's ear isn't healing as it should either. The doctor said he opted not to remove the skin during the surgery since it would have left a scar and he hoped that it would get better after the underlying infection was removed. Well now he's concerned that the skin itself was infected and they may have to remove the infected skin to prevent a recurrence of the infection. Great. He wants us to consult with infection disease before he makes the call, so we'll be trying to get in to see infection disease docs here soon.
In other news, baby number 2 is doing well. The doctor didn't bump back my due date even though he was measuring a little behind on dates. Yeah! So at least there's some good news this week.
Friday, November 7, 2008
The Manzier
Posted by Leslie at 9:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
I am sorry that John and I haven't been around much to help out. If there is anything that I can do please let me know. I hope that things will turn around with Ben, and soon. It is good to hear that baby 2 is well. We love you.
Thanks for sharing what is happening with Ben. He's had a rough week. He is such a cutie and our thoughts and prayers are with your family. We hope this next week goes better.
Okay...the "jaw bra??" That's funny. But seriously, I hope he heals up quick & properly...all these doctor visits cannot be fun!
You know you're cute when you can make even a jaw bra look hip.
I feel your pain...When Leah was Ben's age, she had to wear a massive cranial band 24/7 for 5 months.
Thank goodness they're born without pride.
Wow, I hope the "Jaw bra" does it's work well and that Benny is soon better. You're in my prayers.
That is a seriously uncomfortable looking contraption. Poor little guy, I know I would not want to wear that. Hope things turn around soon.
I am sorry to hear that Ben's not fully recovered. I am really surprised that he keeps that thing on, maybe after what he has been through that Jaw Bra is nothing. Keep us posted, we will be praying for a speedy recovery.
I don't know if you get to pick and choose what infectious disease doctor you see at Primarys, but we saw a bunch of them when Jake was in the hospital and there was one lady that we really really liked. I can't remember her name but I can look through my files to find it out if you get to choose who you see.
...the jaw bra! How can Ben look so dang cute with it on?! Seriously, he is going to be the toughest little kid after all this!
poor benny boo...
seriously... enough is enough.
he is so darling in that picture though. only a face as cute as his can rock a jaw bra so well :)
he is such a smooshie
It's harder on you than it is on him. He doesn't seem to be all that bothered by the jaw bra. As far as he's concerned, it's the doctors that are the problem...
What an awful contraption, but if you gotta wear it, you may as well look good in it.
We hope for a speedy recovery.
That picture is so cute. . . at least he can wear a "jaw bra" well. I don't know if that can be said about everyone. Hang in there! We hope things look better soon!
you obviously log into your blog since your background has changed, and yet, you don't post. I might have to change my background since Brent's sister has it too and it weirds me out that it looks like mine.
Oh Benny, we love you. Hang in there!
Post a Comment