I love my kids. Seriously, I do. However, after last night they are lucky to be alive. Davie has been under the weather and has been fussy. And Ben has officially embraced the terrible twos. (Please tell me it gets better when they turn three. Please.) Last night was one of those nights where you lock your kids in their rooms, close your door, put your pillow over your head, and try to find a happy place. I'm not speaking figuratively; that's what happened.
Davie was restless and fussy going down. Then, around midnight, he decided he'd had enough of staying in bed and he needed his parents' undivided attention. After making sure he was not dying, we decided to let him "cry it out." Unfortunately, Davie has incredible stamina and crying it out was a rather prolonged ordeal. Then, around 2:00 a.m., Ben woke up.
Ben waking up in the middle of the night is the kiss of death. He makes sure everyone in the house gets up with him. We tried desperately to keep him quiet so he wouldn't wake up Davie, who had only recently succumbed to sleep. We got him milk, let him get in bed with us, went in his room with him, fetched binkies and toys, all to no avail. Around 4:00 a.m. I had what the mental health community would probably call a psychotic break. Faced with a hysterical, sleep deprived wife, Cam gave Ben a dose of Benadryl, which was likely in excess of that recommended for his height and weight, and locked him in his room, where he kicked and screamed and woke up his brother and, finally, slept.
How's that for a scary story? And now, here are the pictures of the kids in Halloween costumes.Davie, as the beneficiary of multiple hand-me-down costumes, made various Halloween appearances dressed as a skeleton (not pictured), a caterpillar
and a chick.Yes, I know these two look harmless, but in the middle of the night they are terrifying.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
The Night(mare) before Halloween
Posted by Leslie at 9:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
They are adorable!! Sorry about the miserable night. Maybe this one will be better.
They sure are cute. Glad you didn't kill them! :)
Psychotic break. It's about time someone diagnosed my episodes!
I read your post and wept. Thank goodness the costumes cheered me up. (That caterpillar is RIDICULOUS!!)
oh goodness.
when i saw you earlier tonight i didn't realize the extent of the sleep deprivation.
cheers to you for keeping such a good game face.
anytime you want a break send benny over to me. minie didn't stop talking about him all night. she loves herself some ben...and i'm being serious.. i will have the boys whenever :)
hope some good sleep comes your way
I laughed through several of your last posts. I'm so sorry you are sleep deprived. I can laugh because i've been there many a time. But when you wake up and see those darling little boys smile or watch them finally sleeping like angels its worth it! hang in there! cute costumes!
Days like that are bad - and nights like that are the worst! Cute caterpillar and I love Ben's costume!
Oh, Leslie I'm in the very same boat! My kids love to tag team with each other. I swear it is a game! At night, that is when my kids aren't my favorite.
Kate wakes up due to growing pains and we discovered to keep the household asleep we snuggle on the couch and watch Curious George or Cinderella. This way I can doze on the couch and usually in 30 minutes to an hour she is ready for bed. Otherwise, we get hysterical cries.
Loved your post and the adorable pictures. Your kids are darling!
Oh Leslie,
I only began to laugh when I got to the last entry about the boys looking harmless, but in the night.....I love you for your honesty and this too will pass.
Alice
Post a Comment